Skip to main content

Jews In Jewish Spaces

The other day I attended a meeting of cross-communal Jewish organisations. At the table were people who held a range of beliefs and practices. One of the challenges of such umbrella groups is how they accommodate such a diverse range of deeply-held religious ideologies. The inherent tensions of this debate were highlighted during an impromptu discussion as to whether a key feature of a website should remain active on Shabbat or if they should be turned off for all users during this 25 hour period.

Though the thing itself may seem trivial the issues surrounding it do have wide-reaching implications. I believe people on both sides of the debate are driven primarily by this simple question; "How can my religious practices and beliefs be accommodated and respected by other people?" The key words here is other for it refers, not to the general non-Jewish population, but to other self-identifying Jews. This type of other often prompts a very different kind of conversation; particularly from those inclined towards religious observance.

In what way are these conversations different? In spaces that I would define as not specifically Jewish - i.e. the NHS, non-faith schools and other public events - we often speak about accommodating the individuals religious belief and practice. That is to say, "I" have certain dietary requirements and the organisers of the aforementioned spaces should make a reasonable effort to ensure that "I" am able to keep to these requirements. Likewise, as a person who wears a kippah (a Jewish head covering) I would expect organisations that are not specifically Jewish to allow me to keep my head covered (even when such a head-covering is not part of the standard staff uniform).

When conversations concern spaces that I will define as specifically Jewish - i.e Jewish schools, cross-communal buildings and events - the focus often shifts from the individual (who has specific religious requirements) towards the practice of all Jews who will be sharing that space.

Here the conversation is no longer focused on how we can (and should) accommodate an individual's religious observance; it becomes about ensuring that the wider Jewish public take on these observances as well.

I feel that when Jews argue for this type of communal observance, they express the following concerns: "That being around Jews who practice differently from me will affect my own practice or kavanah ('intuition' of 'focus'); that accommodating non-observance in shared spaces makes me, in some way, partly responsible for their failure to observe Judaism correctly; and that a lack of willingness on the part of other Jews to accommodate my practice is meant disrespectfully". We should not dismiss the sincerity of these concerns and must be aware that our responses may present a challenge for, and cause discomfort to, those who hold them.

That said, in the same way that I want Jews (and all people) to accommodate my own religious practice in public, I in turn want to ensure that I do they same for each individual. This is a two way relationship; non-observant Jews must respect and, even if they do not agree, not actively hinder ones observation of Shabbat or Kashrut (religious dietary laws). Likewise, observant Jews must accept that others, who share their faith but practice differently from them, will choose to keep (or not keep) the mitzvot as they see fit. Respect for ones fellow-Jew cannot be confined to private spaces alone; it happens in front of the community, for all to see.


Comments

Emily S said…
I think it is a really interesting 'issue' that has mostly lost focus in the last decade or so. We have all become more polarised and entrenched into our own ideological space. Many of the cross-communal institutions are either no longer in existence (like AJ6 from which my experiences of good cross-communalism are built) or are blacklisted by some of the community for various reasons, many of which to me are spurious and based out of a misunderstanding of the concept of respecting difference. I may wholeheartedly think you are wrong about an issue but that doesn't mean I can't respect you as an individual or your right to have your perspective. For me there are red lines though, and they usually surround someone getting hurt or removing the rights of others for the purpose of belief. The latter of those is really really difficult, and I get that my red lines might not be yours too. It is only from a place of arrogance that someone completely dismisses the speech of others.

In terms of actual religious practice, I think this may mean overlapping public spaces and agreeing to listen - there is common ground amongst praxis even if the ideology behind why is incongruent. Start there. There should be equal ground given to all those, that again may mean separate spaces that don't overlap, boundaries between those spaces then become corridors for discussion and thought and asking people to leave a certain behaviour at a door actually isn't an unfair ask. Last but not least, come together with food. Cake solves many problems and having a strictly kosher cake would only be offensive if it is badly made.
David-Yehuda said…
Thanks Emily, I agree that we rarely seem to speak (constructively) about this issue; we often go by established Jewish communal norms without reflecting on their impact. When I think of cross-communal organisations I think about Limmud, WZO JW3. There may also be some comparison to the how the diverse Jewish population is accommodated by the Israeli Government in Israel.

I agree with your comments regarding red lines.

As you correctly conclude, it is only by agreeing to listen to those with differing opinions that we can truly protect our own (as well as other people's) religious practices. The challenge of course relates to ensuring that all parties have equal power in these discussions so that no one side can use its weight to force through an unfair rule or view.

Cake works for me!

Popular posts from this blog

7 Moments Where Jewish & Other UK Faith Leaders United

As news & social media feeds bombard us with conflict, here are 7 moments to remind us of our shared humanity . 1 Buckinghamshire Faith Leaders from Bahá'í, Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, and Quaker communities highlighting their mutual friendships and values Click here to read more 2 This gathering of Jewish and Muslim Women who are fighting fight for safety & empathy Click here to read more 3 Archbishop Justin Welby, Sheikh Ibrahim Mogra and Rabbi Jonathan Wittenberg calling for solidarity and unity between communities in the UK, and rejecting any form of hatred or discrimination. Click here to read more 4 Maidenhead Faith Leaders Imam Abid Hashmi, Rabbi Dr Jonathan Romain and Reverend Sally Lynch coming together to foster peace and encourage good relations between the communities amid the Israel-Hamas war Click here to read more 5 This Raw and Honest Conversation Between Two friends - a Rabbi and an Imam Click here to read more 6 The Jewish and Muslim Groups Acknowled

My Ordination Address

I received my rabbinical ordination (s'micha) on Sunday, 3 July 2022 / 4 Tamuz 5782. My Presenters were Rabbi Jeremy Gordon & Rabbi Debbie Young-Somers. I was ordained by Rabbi Dr Charles Middleburgh. This was my address. --- I was raised by loving parents in a small shtetl called Hendon.  My childhood home was a beacon of Jewish practice and my formative years bathed in the glow of the richness of Jewish ritual and theology.  However, around the time of my Bar Mitzvah - my Jewish coming of age - I began to find the former cumbersome and the latter archaic and dogmatic.  I might never have re-immersed myself in Jewish life had it not been for one other vitally important thing ever present in my life - chesed .  Sometimes English speaking Jews translate chesed as kindness, but this does not do justice to our tradition.  The Hebrew root for chesed -  ח-ס-ד - appears in the Tanakh (The Jewish Bible) around 250 times and these can be translated in almost as many ways!  However al